Historical Background on the Book of Genesis
- Author – Although the events of this book ended more than 300 years before Moses was born, the latter is credited to be the writer of this book.
- Date of Authorship – This book could have been written during the time of Exodus
- Custom: Ancient Near Eastern Background
- There is agreement among Biblical and secular historians that civilizations started in the Ancient Near East specifically in areas within modern Iran, Iraq and Egypt
- Dominant Nations or Cultures – Egyptian and Mesopotamian Culture. The Land of Palestine where Israel is situated is between these two lands.
- Mesopotamia consist of two great cultures
- Chapters 1-38 – Shows us a lot about Mesopotamian life
- Southern Mesopotamia – Sumer or Southern Babylon having a township or city state governments.
- Northern Babylonia – The place is known as Agade or Accad and herein live the Akkadians. Unlike the south, the north existed as a single territory.
- Everyday Concerns of the Mesopotamian People
- Creation, genealogies
- Destructive floods
- Geography and mapmaking
- Construction techniques
- Migrations of peoples
- Sale and purchase of land
- Legal customs and procedures
- Sheepherding and cattle-raising
- By 2300, Sargon of Akkad will unite Mesopotamia.
- Egypt was divided into two kingdoms until it was united by Menes in 3,000 BC.
- Chapters 38-50 – Talks about Egyptian culture
The Chronological Study Bible NKJV
John Macarthur Study Bible
NIV First Century Study Bible