- Name of God – YHWH – Yahweh – Jehovah – The Existing One
- Satan – identified by the Apostle John as Satan in (Rev 12: 9; 20: 2)
- Satan wants to convince Adam and Eve that God is restricting them from the delights of the Garden of Eden.
- Eve made a theological mistake with the phrase “you must not touch”. She added to God’s Word.
- In v. 6 Eve thought of the fruit as delightful and agrees here that Satan was right.
- Adam has the bigger sin because He heard God’s directive and yet he did not follow but listened to the woman.
- Ancient Near East – people thought of how to succeed or fail to become a god.
- Gilgamesh Epic -A plant which will rejuvenate Gilgamesh was stolen by a snake
- Adapa is offered the food of life shaped like a serpent and is known as the guardian of demons in the netherworld
- Gilgamesh and Adapa failed to achieve immortality because they failed to eat a certain kind of food,.
- Ancient Egypt:
- The serpent is known as a symbol of death and wisdom.
- Ancient Egypt has this idea that they could communicate with animals, especially serpents.
- Serpents are also known to have a connection with the occult.
- They have gods which are in the form of serpents.
- There are seven hundred spells or curses on snakes that are made to guide the dead pharaoh in his journey to the afterlife.
- Egyptians call on the snake to crawl away or lie down.
- People in the netherworld eat dust
- Ancient Israelites:
- Serpents are associated with life and death
- Serpents are wise.
- Serpents are associated with disorder
- Serpents are known as enemy of God,
- God especially cursed the physical serpent but God also cursed the rest of creation. But humanity was not cursed. God cursed the soil.
- 15 is prophecy which curses the spiritual serpent (Satan) for a Savior will come in the future to destroy Satan.
- 21 – Prophecy – someday a substitute will be needed to redeem man.
- If man ate from the tree of life he would live forever in a pitiful condition. The act of being driven out of the Garden of Eden is an act of love by God.
- In the ancient world there is no reference to the beginnings of sin. There is no mention of a point when man was close to God and then because of sin, the standing of man with God deteriorated. Only in the Bible where you can find this truth.
- Early Theologians: About the God asking Adam “where are You”?
- God knows everything so He knows where Adam is, This question is actually a threat or properly rephrased as ”what are you going to do now”? “How are you going to handle this situation?” –
Step Bible – https://www.stepbible.org/
MacArthur, John F.. The MacArthur Study Bible, NASB (Kindle Location 6211). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition.
HarperCollins Christian Publishing. NIV, Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible, eBook: Bringing to Life the Ancient World of Scripture (Kindle Location 7480). Zondervan. Kindle Edition.
NIV First-Century Study Bible: Explore Scripture in Its Jewish and Early Christian Context (Kindle Location 5304). Zondervan. Kindle Edition.