- It is possible that the earth was under a canopy of water at this time which filtered out the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun which enabled very long lives.
- Adam lived 930 years.
- Adam’s son, Seth lived 912 years. Adam was in the image of God while Seth was in the image of Adam means that the children of Seth is now shaped in sin.
- Enosh was the son of Seth. He lived for 905 years.
- Kenan was the son of Enosh, he lived up to 910 years. Kenan mean “little Cain”.
- Next in line is Mahalel. He lived 895 years. Mahalel means “praising God”.
- Jared was the next son. He lives for 962 years. His name means “God descended from heaven or God aided in the delivery of the child”.
- Enoch lived for 365 years. Enoch did not die but was taken by God. Enoch means one is “dedicated or a dedication”.
- In the ancient world, tales of being taken away by a deity is also present but it doesn’t mean they are taken up to heaven. Sometimes they are just transferred to another location.
- Methuselah was next in line and he lived for 960 years. He was the oldest in this generation and scholars say he could have died in the same year as the Great Flood (based on Genesis 5: 25, 28; 7: 6, where 187 + 182 + 600 = 969). His name means “devoted of the spear”. His son was Lamech.
- Lamech lived 777 years. His son was Noah. He hadbthisnto say about Noah, “This one will give us rest from our work and from the toil of our hands arising from a the ground which the LORD has cursed.”
- Hebrews 11:7 explained this prophecy: “By faith Noah, being warned by God about things not yet seen, in reverence prepared an ark for the salvation of his household, by which he condemned the world, and became an heir of the righteousness which is according to faith.”
- Noah was justified by faith.
- Genesis 5 resemble Mesopotamian genealogies since they are linear or of a single line unlike Genesis 10 which are segmented (multiple branches).
- in Egyptian and Persian genealogies generations and usually derived from a priestly line.
- Biblical genealogies tend to skip on mentioning some generations.
- Biblical genealogies are more concerned with continuity and relationship as regards power and/or prestige.
- If the Bible ages seems incredible to our modern day readers, the Sumerian Kings have longer lives according to their genealogies, the longest being 43,200 years.
- If the ages of the list of Sumerian Kings were however read with decimals, it will be almost the same as the numbers in the Bible.
- The Sumerian King’s List is a tradition from the 3rd Millenium BC but this list was made in the 2nd Millenium BC. BC.
- The Sumerian King’s list functions as a propaganda by the Isin kings.
- The Sumerian King’s List also talks about a Great Flood. After the flood the ages of the kings began to diminish just like in Bible.
The Macarthur Study Bible
Answers In Genesis
NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
NIV First Century Study BIble
NKJV Chronological Study Bible
The NIV Zondervan Study Bible